Monday, April 03, 2006

Some titles are better left unsaid

Lot can be said about anything, But usually it results in NOTHING. Most probably this particular blog entry wont change anything. My language skills are extremely inadequate for the task I have set for myself. Just an hour before, I saw somewhere someone discussing about whether rape merits hanging as punishment. It was supposed to be some SMS poll or something, anyway 95% answered in the affirmative.

It was a shock to me, this is not to justify in any way rape. That is a very heinious crime. What it does is to take away the dignity. Where its more of an assault on the mind and the intellect, rather than physical. So it severly disorients ones view of the world. Its like doing something to your body and mind that you detest by those whom you detest. Agreed these are all true, but Is hanging the rapist a solution to the problem.

Here what is being, done is to make the punishment for hte crime severe so that it serves as a detterent to the crime. But the question that arises in my mind is there soemthing called a greater crime or lesser crime, Where taking the life of the aggressor is a necessary crime committed by the society. Yes when I say the society, everyone who feels that the rapist should be hanged, has a part in that crime, because we make the society.

This is the very reason that has prompted me to blog about it. I dont feel that I can remain a mute spectator who agrees with this law. I believe each individual has got his own or her own freedom and messing up with that to various degrees is always bad.
Granted that the rapist should be given punishment. Its just that I feel sentencing one to death whatever the crime maybe is a bigger crime than anything else. OH yes its my personal view. If its just the natural system, I would suggest that the one whom is the percieved threat for the masses would be removed from existance by the masses. I wouldn't suggest that for a so called civilized system.

No dont ask me whats the punishment that needs to be meted out to this particular crime. I would suggest that thats something society needs to discuss. Gradually a sort of general idea will emerge. eg: condemning the criminal to 30 yrs Life imprisonment. And yes there are varying degrees of the crime.

Bah!! the shit that I have written above just says that rape shouldnt get death sentence as punishment. Simply because sentencing one to death is not a solution to this Issue. Ofcourse the other part is that if you project something as a solution to a problem with enough clarity in media then that would seem to be the solution to a majority. That doesnt mean its the solution.

So what we need the most here is attitude of the society to the fact that Life doesnt stop at all after such an incident. It can still be a wonderful experience. The victims needs the support of the society as a whole. If not why call ourselves a civilized society. There should be trauma counselling cells which could help the victims.

In the end I know this blog is just for my comfort. So I stop.

(PS: Havent been bloggin for quite a while and suddenly I found it difficult to blog. Meaning It wasnt exaclty easy to put into words what I wanted to say, and I wanted to say a lot more here. )

5 Comments:

Blogger -Poison- said...

to tell the truth, i dont believe much in crime and punishment nowadays. its a crazy world.

11:21 PM  
Blogger aravind said...

The world never had any pretentions of being not crazy. It always was. Its only that humans wanted to impose sanity. After all when it doesnt fit the human thought process, Its insane.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Erosimian said...

the ultimate solution would be something like Pre-Crime (from the movie Minority Report by Steven Speilberg)

2:41 PM  
Blogger aravind said...

Theres nothing like that. Technology doesnt work that way. There will always be loopholes and there will always be crimes. These things will only make it murky. Not anything better.

Because in precrime a select group of people will be running it and it cant have a transparent or even a semi-transparent system.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Erosimian said...

of course, that was the problem of the precrime thing in the movie.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home