Sunday, December 18, 2005

On me

Yeah this is a personal blog. Which isnt usually my style.

The subject matter is entirely upon operations I have undergone. Err by the word operation I do mean the medical ones. So far I have undergone two of them. One was major. Other not so.

The first one took place when I was a kid of 3 and half years old. The funniest thing is unlike many other kids of that age. I do remember vividly a lot about the whole thing.

I am going to give an account of both these experiences.

The first one came as a severe pain in the abdomen when I was in my LKG. The school authorities there sucked. They didnt think it severe enough to inform my parents(both my parents are doctors). So when my dad came to call me up he was really angry with them. Anyway I dont know much more about what transpired between my dad and the school authorities.

As things go. The pain came usually in bouts.The pain in abdomen was so severe that I used to roll on the floor whenever the bout occured. I was really pathetic. Think about a small kid rolling because of pain. Anyways as I am an extremely spirited person it didnt dampen my spirits much Except for the pain. Between this was just one day after the school incident. I was taken to SAT Hospital for the surgery. Initially I was admitted to ICU. A date for the operation was fixed.

Then came about week. I dont exactly remember how many days I was hospitalized. Because any day was just like the next day. Only thing was I didnt like the injections that were administered to me. And I do remember one day I was extremely happy when I had to just take a pill.

Also it was the pediatric ward. There were kids all around. I was one of the kids who could bear the pain. It was a lil depressing in the hospital with all those sick kids and boring too. When my cousin bro came I was really happy. Meaning we are like bro itself so I really loved it. Then came the operation. I still remember my father taking me in his both hands and carefully carrying me to operation theatre( it was govt hospital, the reason for going there was because of personal relation with the surgeon)

I remember the cold clammy operation table and the array of instruments. Didnt feel much of a fear or anything. I thought about asking the surgeon for a pair of gloves when it was over. Then the usual lights of operation theatre shown in films where on. And I was insisted up on to sleep. Even if I didnt feel a bit sleepy I decided to humour them.

And lo when I wake up I am on a room in payward. It seems I was asleep for ten hours or more. I had that suture which every patient after operation had. I started to feel around it to check whether everything felt right. After that I dont remember much.

I think only the most vivid of images remain in the memory. As a 3&1/2 yr olds memory go it was pretty deep.

This surgery was for Indususception, where the muscles of small intestinal walls contract and get into the larger one. The contraction causes severe pain. In smaller kids it might be even fatal.

The next one was when I was in 10th standard. It was for congenital hernia. Which I still have partly.
I remember the whole experience vividly. I was 15 yrs old. So was admitted to pediatric ward. Where as it was a pediatric ward I was given at first Kids clothes to wear :D. All the while I had the feeling that I was going for an operation which would restrict for a week or so when I was feeling perfectly normal and energetic.

Here as it was not much serious, there were no last minute rushes etc. It was quite lesuirely. I went to the hospital 7 in the morning. I was given the allergy tests for the antibiotics. For this they injected a small sample onto my skin. I was very mildly allergic to the first one. So a second dose was tested ok.

Then they gave me a ointment which was very liberally put on the left hand. It was supposed to be a local anaesthetic which I later understood ( a lil painfully that is). I was then administered the antibiotic as a precaution. As they were operating upon me.

I was laid in a trolley. And taken to the theatre. It was quite a long walk .Took about five mins. I was really contemplative at that time. I vivdly remember looking at the beams in the ceiling at how it seems when you lie on a moving trolley. Meaning you never think of seeing the roof beams moving like steps in a ladder. I was even amused at my thought about these things in face of the impending operation. My mother was much more worried than I was.

Finally after reaching the operation table. I was transferred by the Doc to the operation table . This was more comfortable than the first one. I remember telling them that I could walk from the trolley to the table as I was actually perfectly fine till then. I noted the time in my mind. It was 9.05 sharp.

Then they suddenly grasped my left hand. And and and intra venal was given. Next came the oxygen mask. As far as I remember it didnt have any difference with the air I breathe. Then I was given the dose of anaesthetics. I think it was barbiturates or LSG. Both are classified as narcotics. I dont know which is the one.

Again, I refused to sleep. Meaning with all the things going on. I was observing what every one was doing. They again asked me whether I felt any sleep. I simply asked back whether they wanted me to sleep. They answered in the affirmative. I said I will try.

When I am awake I am in the corridor outside the operation theatre. I was really groggy.
I couldnt open my eyes. I remember having the knowledge what they mean by heavy eyelids. It just refuses to open. Then I was given a room.

I dont remember much about rest of the day when I slept due to the sedation. Next day i was discharged. I went to my home. Yes I could walk without any prob except a small tugging at the place of suture. I was completely mobile after a week.

Now today after coming back from aruns house on project work, my father suddenly ask me if I would have time for an op tomm. Well I check with arun whether anythign serious is there. As there was none. I tell my dad to fix it. And its fixed for tomm. I dont have a bit of worry in me and its kinda worrying me. I am even a lil excited about the whole thing.

It was really a funny experience in a way. Think about your dad coming and telling you that
tomm you are gonna have Surgery. I really laughed on that. And here I am blogging on that.

I think I will be back to my normal self in 4 days. I hope.

What more need I say.

11 Comments:

Blogger -Poison- said...

dude...gl hf!

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm....
Take care,
Divs

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

U seem to be taking it very coolly. Thats nice to see. Hope u have a safe surgery. Take care.

12:40 AM  
Blogger aravind said...

Fun wont be there. I can assure the procedures are pretty painfull.

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you have a dot (.) after your name and not after your initial? I see this with lots of names of people coming out of Kerala? Any idea - if there are any specific linguistic reason for this?

3:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Get well soon!

7:03 AM  
Blogger aravind said...

@chips . Well nothing to be gained from worrying is there. merci beaucoup . :)

@anon. I guess because I am to be called Aravind. Not by My initials.

@Rocknarus. I hope to.Thank You man. If left to myself I would be alright three days from now :D

9:03 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I hope ur keeping well Aravind...

Keshi.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Camphor said...

Good Luck. :D

The thought of surgery just plain... well, it doesn't scare me, it freaks me out. For me, personally.

11:06 AM  
Blogger aravind said...

:D I am back. I can move around slowly. Pain is still there. But Its just Pain.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Using commercial ice cream machines in home bilingual jobs georgia http://www.bondage-4.info/Pamela-anderson-fotki-nago.html Compare brita sunbeam water filter Audi tt horsepower Comercial refrigerators build a pizza oven Craps code advanced business card maker Anal teen s

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home